A trek to Leh Palace

Day 4
12-8-08
Leh


It's been 4 days since we are away from our comfort zones called home, family, dear n near ones etc etc. And the effect was becoming more and more evident on the 'married' guys in the group. The phone calls to their loved ones became more frequent and lengthy. Whenever we went beyond the 'coverage area' a piece of their hearts stayed there itself! For Gokul, Rahul, Varun and me.. it was a shocking realization that no one really cared! Ofcourse, our folks back in the south did care. But what difference does it make to them if we were in Gurgaon or in Ladakh???

The previous evening, Mr. Chaa had returned with the updated permits with Sanjay's name included! So, at last that issue was solved and we all were going to Pangong Lake for 1 day and Nubra Valley for 2 days! Even though both the places were unique in their own ways, going to Pangong Lake was my first preference.

I asked Chaa all sorts of questions about the lake and was very happy when he told that we could take a dip in the high altitude lake if we wished! I decided I surely WOULD! However I was a bit disappointed when later I came to know that we were going to Nubra Valley first and then Pangong on the last day in Leh.

After dinner, it was decided that we will be starting to Nubra Valley tomorrow morning around 10:30 AM. The Nubra valley lies about 125 km north east of Leh and en route we have to travel through the highest motorable pass in the world, the Kardung La (18380 FT).

I know, I know... Some of you may not agree with me and would like to argue on this.. but I would suggest you to fight with the concerned department instead of me and fix this issue once and for all. I don't mind adding one more place in my 'places to see' list. For those of you who are wondering whats this all about, there is a debate on which is the "World's highest Motorable Pass" though on records its Kardung La.



As always, I woke up at 6:00 AM and decided to go out instead of sitting in the room for 4 hrs. I decided to checkout the LEH palace that towered above our guest house. I asked whether anyone would like to come with me me or not.. but I never got a reply! So I put on my jacket and asking the directions from the Manager, I set off to the Leh palace.

Though the Leh Palace lies in ruins today, it attracts the attention of tourists as soon as they enter Leh because of its setting at the edge of the Namgyal hill overlooking the town. It used to be the residential palace for the royal family until they were exiled in the 1830s. Today, Leh Palace serves as an office for the Indian Government's archaeological conservation organization.

Following the path our manager told me, I came to the Leh market near the Masjid. I asked around and was told to go through the narrow lanes that went uphill from the market. Since the palace was visible from anywhere, it was not a difficult task finding my way. Soon the houses and lanes ended and I was in open area with a small track leading up hill to the palace. It was very early and there was no one around. Anyways I continued my trek uphill and after half an hour I reached the top.






There was no one around and the notice board informed me that visitors were allowed only after 10:00. Very bad! But the trek was not over yet.











After clicking a dozen snaps I looked around and saw another path going up. I followed it and reached another castle called 'Castle AT Tesmo'.




From there the view of Leh was awesome. I could see our guest house far below as a small box. I was so excited and surprised to see Airtel network on my mobile and dialed Gokul and Rahul. But both of them were still sleeping and Rahul's sleepy voice asked.. "khya hey re..?" When I informed him I am on top of the hill above the LEH palace and I am waveing from the top... the reply I got was.. "Tho??" (so??). Cursing them I disconnected the call and continued enjoying the view and the drizzle!








Since I was able to see a small track going down directly near to the guest house I decided to go down this way. surprisingly it took only 15 -20 minutes to reach the bottom of the hill and my room. It was almost 10:00 AM now and Shoyeb and Rajesh were ready. By 10:30 we all had our breakfast and were ready to go.



Earlier...

Comments

  1. Its very much gr8 blog ...that I have ever visited n like to visit again in future ....keep it up ...

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Me

Journey to Tawang

Chakrata - A wonderful destination - if the climate is good!