Vof & Hemkund Trek - Day 2

Day 2: Aug 12 2007
5:00: AM Joshimath:

Got up and took a hot water bath (Thanks to my friends for booking the Deluxe room!), watched TV for some time and came out at 6.00 AM. It was already bright outside, and the view was great. Arming myself with My Sony cybershot W50, clicked a few snaps of the hills on my way to the Taxi stand. The Previous night, I had asked around and gathered information about how to reach Govindghat, from where I start my trekking.

Its 20 km (less than 45 min) between Joshimath and Govindghat. Shared jeeps or buses that go to Badrinath are available to reach there. Shared jeep charges 15/- for one person. I think buses will also be same. There is a gate between Joshimath and Govindghat that opens at some specific time slots. The first gate opens at 6:00 AM. So you have to be there at that time. My plan was to get a shared taxi from Joshimath and reach Govindghat when the first gate opens!

I was a bit early. So while the driver was waiting for a few more passengers, I went to enjoy the view and some tea! But that cost me my window seat in the front! I was left with no option other than to sit in the middle. It was a real shame i couldn't take a single snap in this route. And believe me, this route was awesome!

Anyways I reached Govindghat around 7:00 AM. For the next 2 or 3 days I will be here with the nature. No motor vehicles, just me and the nature! I had Poori, channa and tea for breakfast and bought a bottle of Fanta, water and some snacks! But later I wished, I hadn't bought them! You get all these on the way to Ghangeria. Even though you have to pay more 5/- or 10/- extra, it would have made the 13 km trek easier!

The place was full of Sikh people (going to and coming from Hemkund Sahib), foreigners, nature lovers and vendors selling all sort of things ranging from head scarfs, bracelets, walking sticks... After looking around for some time and taking some snaps, I decided its time to start. I thought, if I reached Ghangeria before 1:00 PM, I will get a room and dump all my things and go to Hemkund. So I can explore the valley of flowers the next day completely! But later I realised, how impossible that was!

I walked slowly enjoying the mountains, distant water falls and the roaring streams! The path is well laid and I should say they have taken very much effort to keep it clean. Every 100 mt you can see workers cleaning the place, setting the stones right and making sure no plastic/paper lies around! Whenever I felt a it tired, I sat down and tried to finish off the Fanta and water. At least I don't have to carry it all the way to Ghangeria! I learnt one more thing that helped to boost myself whenever I was feeling tired... Shouting along with Punjab da Putthars "JO BOLE SO NIHAAL...SAT SRI AKAAL!" and "WAHE GURUJI KA KHALSA. WAHE GURUJI KI FATEH"! For them it was a holy jaikara but for me it was some sort of encouragement from someone on the way!

After covering 5 km I started getting into the rhythm and walking was not much hard as before. On the way, I met Mukesh another software engineer from Delhi. Later I came to know that he was a part of a group of 12 friends belonging to www.oktatabyeby.com. He introduced me to his cousin, their leader Partha and Anu from Hyderabad. After walking along with them sharing past experiences, I started forgetting that I am alone!

However since my plan was to make it to Hemkund Sahib that day itself, I said bye to them and started walking ahead. It started to drizzle and I kept my Camera, mobile and wallet safely inside my backpack! It rained for some time. But who cares? As long as my belongings were safe inside my bag, whats there to stop me enjoy the rains? I kept on walking and finally rain gave up!

I met Michelle from France and Anurag, her guide from Rishikesh. Again I started taking snaps. I had coved 8 Km and there was 5 more to go! The last 3 or 4 Km was very hard and it slowed us down very much. Again it started raining heavily. By the time I had reached 11 Kms, I was very tired! I was seeing people taking rest after 10 or 15 mts!

Atlast somehow when I reached Ghangeria, it was 2:00 PM. It was raining heavily and I was dead tired. Also people were looking at me strangely when I asked them how can I go to Hemkund Sahib! They told me no one goes to Hemkund sahib at this time. Eventhough its just 6 Km (3 or 4 hrs trek) its very hard because of the steepness. Also there wont be anyone overthere now as everyone comes down by 2 PM. I did not believe them at that time. But since I was also dead tired, I decided, to take rest and do both the treks the next day.

I got a decent room for 200 just opposite to the GMVN guest house. After washing myself and changing into some warm clothes I went in search of a hot cup of coffe and my lunch! It was still raining and a bit dark. I came to know that the only source of power was generator which will be started every evening from 6-10 PM. I also heard that there was a screening of film about the valley of flowers in the information center at 7:00 PM. Since there was more than 3 hrs, I decided to rest for a while and then go for the screening.

When I woke up it was 6:30 and it was still raining. I saw Anurag. He was staying in the hotel next to mine. We went to Michel's room. However she was not feeling well. So we left her in the room and went to see the film on Vof. The ticket was 20/- The film was for 45 mins. It showed various flowers describing their season and other info regarding them. It also showed the hardwork of the eco-development committee (EDC). After the documentry, we had dinner and Anurag went to his room. I told him my plans to start early and do both the treks. He said he'll tell michelle and if she is ok by morning, we'll go together.

After talking with the hotel manager for some time, I went to my room and soon fell asleep!

























Comments

  1. lovely travelogue, lovely pics, must have been a memorable trip. me and my family planning this trip in sept first half this year... any suggestions are most welcome...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chakrata - A wonderful destination - if the climate is good!

Journey to Tawang

Contact Me