Devaria Tal Trek - Away from the maddening crowd


16, 17, 18 Feb 2007
Ukhimat -
Uttrakhand

3 days
... Away from the crowd... A solo trip... a bit of trekking... sometime to sit and enjoy the nature... and to forget everything! All this and more with something around 1000 Rs in hand.

Do u think I am joking?
Well I am not!

After scanning for a suitable destination around Delhi, I decided to go to Chopta-Thunganath-Chandrashilla .. A little 'geo ghyan' for those who didnt pay attention in Geography!

Chopta is located on the Gopeshwar-Ukhimath Road in Garhwal, Uttrakhand. (Ukhimat is like the hub for all tourists going there). Chopta offers some awesome views of Himalayan ranges (I'm sorry I forgot the names of the peaks)

Anyways after reaching Ukhimatt, I was a bit disappointed to learn that the road to Chopta was blocked due to snow! Also there wont be any accommodation available there. Then someone i met there, suggested Deoriataal! However this decision proved to be a good one, as there was a
great surprise for me @ Deoriyatal!

Day 0 (thursday)
--------------------
22:15 PM Mussorie exp from Delhi

Day 1 (friday)
-----------------
7:00 AM Haridwar
7:30 AM Got the GMOU Bus to Kund (in Rudraprayag)
4:00 PM Reached Kund. (via Rishikesh, Srinagar, Rugraprayag)

On the way a co-passenger told me that I will get shared Jeep to chopta from Ukhimat. He also warned me not to go to chopta in the evening since it would be late in the night when I reach there and I might not get room to stay! Anyways I decided to go to Ukhimatt first and then think abt it.

When I reached Ukhimat at around 4:20, I was disappointed to know that due to heavy snow, the road was closed and also the locals from chopta have also come down. So I had no other option other than staying in Ukhimat that day.

I go a cheap but clean room in the main market (Deepak Lodge). After resting for sometime, I decided to have a walk. I met an old man on the way and asked him abt my chances of going to Chopta-Tunganath-Chandrashilla. He also told me the same thing that I cannot go there alone at this time since there is no options to stay. After talking for a while, he told me that I can go to Deoriyatal if I want.

For reaching Deoriyatal, I can take a shared Jeep from Ukhimat (Rs 10/-) and reach Mustura. (Guys... you should see the road from Ukhimat to Mustura!!!)
From Mustura one has to trek up hill 4 Kms to reach Sari Village. (Dont worry, the path is well laid and nothing to be afraid of... ( i am sure we trekkers are not afraid of anything!))
From Sari Village, again a 3 Kms trekk uphill and you are @ Deoriyatal!

The idea suited me. After all I dont have to go back without any adventure! Thinking abt the day ahead, I went to sleep.

Day 2 (Saturday)
--------------------
8:30 AM Went in search of a jeep and got one @ 9:00. 9:20 AM saw me starting my trek from Mustura to Sari Village. It took 1 hr to reach the village. There I met Mr. Murali Sing Negi a mountaineering guide and trekker. He was busy with some construction work at his place. While having Tea, he asked me whether I need someone to take me to the taal and beyond! I said Ok. Then he asked one of his son Umendra Singh to accompany me to the taal. So we both started our trekk @ 11:00 AM. We reached the taal in an hour. Had a great experience. (I am not going to describe the beautiful views on the way or the awesome scenery, that met my eyes @ the Deoriyatal. because I know I will be doing injustice to you all. You have to see it urself!) you checkout my album for some of the snaps. Then Umendra Singh and myself went further up to a great place (sorry.. I forgot the name of the point)

Then at 2 PM we started our descend and reached Sari village in hald an hour!!! I had lunch at their shop and came down to Mustura at 3:30 Pm.

Got the Shared jeep, enjoyed the view and reached Ukhimat at 4:15 PM.

Eventhough I couldnt go to Chopta-Tungnath-Chandrashilla, I was very very happy with what I saw today!

Day 3 (Sunday)
-------------------
There is an early morning bus to Haridwar (at 5:30 AM). Got that bus. However, I came to know that due to election duty, they will go till Srinagar only. From there I will have to get another bus to Haridwar. Luckily, when I reached Srinagar and 9:00 am, there was a bus to haridwar and I reached Haridwar at 1. ( it would have been earlier if there hadnt been some traffic jams due to the election parties!)

From Haridwar, I cancelled my Mussorie Express train ticket (online) and got the Gurgaon Bus and reached home at 10:30 PM.

Summary:

You can make this trip if you have 3 days and something around 1000 Rs!
(If you travel on your own vehicle during night also, then 2 days is enough.. But thats gonna be a bit hectic!)

Cost: (The fares given here is what it cost me)

Train ticket : From Delhi to Haridwar = 175/-
GMOU Bus from Hrdwar to Kund = 157/-
Shared Jeep from Kund to Ukhimat = 10/-
Room @ Deepak Lodge = 100/day (They have rooms for 200 also)
Shared Jeep from Ukhimat to Mustara and back = 10*2 = 20/-
Bus from Ukhimat to Haridwar - I hope its around 160/- (For me, it was 60/- to Srinigar and 100/- from Srinagar to Haridwar)
Bus from Haridwar to Gurgaon - 135/-
+ food/-

Please checkout the snaps I took from my trip:








































































































Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Me

Journey to Tawang

Chakrata - A wonderful destination - if the climate is good!