Not just another Holy trip...

Haridwar and Rishikesh

Even though I come from south India, I have heard a lot about Haridwar and Rishikesh since I was a kid. Always it would be from some old people in their 60s and 70s or even 80s who wish to visit these holy places at least once before they 'crash' once and for all. Some people come back and some don't! I thought, it was just a holy place for Hindus. However, from my 8 - 10 earlier visits, I know that these places have more to offer than just purification of soul and body with a holy dip in Ganges and a visit to the temples.

Uttranchal offers natural beauty for the tourists and trekkers and adrenaline rush to the adventure seekers. Just below 250 Km from Delhi / just an over night train journey / 7 hrs on road makes Rishikesh one of the best weekend getaways from Delhi. That's the reason I choose this place whenever my friends from south (now settled in various parts of the globe) come to visit me.

You have adventure for the brave heart, piousness for the religious ones. You have safari and wildlife for the rugged ones, and shopping and culinary adventure for the rest! What else do you want for a great weekend?

The first one to visit me this year was Balasubramanian alias Bala. He is working as a Project Engineer in a Construction Company in Kuwait. This was his first home coming after 3 years and even before starting from Kuwait he made plans to come and visit me in Delhi this Jan. In Rishikesh we stayed in an inn near Lakshman Jhoola and enjoyed rafting with Nirvana Travels. In the evening we went to see the Aarti of 'Ganga mayya' and returned to Delhi the same night.

After Bala's visit, another good friend of mine Joe alias Joseph Wilson and his brother Livingston came to Delhi in FEB. Joe is working in the US as a software engineer. We stayed in the GMVNL forest rest house in Chilla near Rajaji National Park. We went on a safari and then did the river rafting again with Nirvana Travels. After coming back to Delhi we went to Agra to see the Taj and Agra fort!

The third one to visit me was my best friend since my school days Roopesh. He is working in Dubai and he wanted to visit Rishikesh the most. I assume he had the highest no of sins to wash that others.. (just kidding!!) This time however we had company of 5 of my colleagues and we hired a Taxi. Again we stayed in the same inn near Lakshman Jhoola and rafted with Nirvana Travels. (I have become a regular customer in both these places and now a days I enjoy special concession whenever I go for rafting!!)

Here's a few snaps of the Haridwar Rishihkes trips of 2008:



Balasubramanian alias Bala.


















Evening Aarti in Rishikesh


Wilson and his brother Livi




































Prem and Roopesh


Rahul, Sreedhar, Roopesh, Gokul












Chotiwaala I


Chotiwaala II





































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Me

Journey to Tawang

Chakrata - A wonderful destination - if the climate is good!