The Nilgiris

Coonoor - Ooty
June 20 2008


It was friday and I was sitting in my home waiting for my brother to come from Mumbai. He was getting married on Sunday! Most of the arrangements were done already, but still a few were pending. Anyways it had been a bit busy week for me running here and there. Hence when one of my cousin brother John asked me if I would like to join him on a bike trip to his home in coonoor for a day I gave it a serious thought. We can leave early morning, reach coonoor in about 3 to 4 hrs. Have lunch at his place and come back in the evening. Anyways my brother was arriving in the night only. So I decided to go. Requesting my father to take care of the arrangements for a day I started to Coonoor.

However, as this was not a sightseeing trip and with brother's marriage in mind all the time, we quickly completed the work in Coonoor and then Ooty, had lunch and hurried back. By the time I reached home, my brother had arrived!!!

Yet another much needed break during that hectic week of my brother's marriage!



Beetle nut trees near Kallar from where the hills starts



Somewhere near the first hairpin bend



Do yu see the railway bridge in the hills?







Johnson - a 'Maestro' in the making...



aah..! here yu can see the bridge clearly!!!



The final Destination







My dear Chithi - the Maestro's mom!



Tea plantations



After Coonoor... on the way to Ooty

































My cousins.. my brothers.. my strength!


You want to go there...?

  • By Air:

The nearest airport is Coimbatore, 105 km from Ooty

  • By Rail:

A narrow gauge railway station connects Ooty to Coonoor in the hills and Mettupalayam in the plains below.
The famous mountain toy train runs between Mettupalayam and ooty and it is something that you shouldn't miss!


  • By Road:

A good network of roads and national highways connect Ooty to and from all major towns and cities in South India including Coimbatore, Trichy, Bangalore, Madurai, Kanyakumari, Mysore, Palghat, Calicut, Tirupati and all the major cities of Kerala and Karnataka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Me

Journey to Tawang

Chakrata - A wonderful destination - if the climate is good!